Makes 54 servings.
- 2 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, dried, ground
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Butter and flour a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until they hold soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in the sugar until the whites are glossy and stiff.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the ground almonds.
- Drop rounded 1/2 tsp of the meringue mixture about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and reduce the heat to 250°F.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until the meringues are barely colored and somewhat dry to the touch.
- Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in until completely dry to the touch.
Per serving: 12.97 calories, 0.04 g saturated fat, 0.46 g total fat, , 0.00 mg cholesterol, 2.14 mg sodium, 2.04 g total carbohydrate, 0.10 g dietary fiber, 0.31 g protein, 2.43 mg calcium.
Entered by Stuart on March 13, 2006
Modified by stuart on October 13, 2010